Full-Time | $22-27/hour, dependent on experience and certifications
Maintains diesel equipment operation by completing inspections and preventative maintenance requirements, correcting vehicle deficiencies, making adjustments and alignments, and keeping records. Vehicles included in the Company’s fleet include semi-tractors and mobile cranes. Will also perform mechanical repairs on gas powered fleet vehicles.
Essential Job Functions and Duties
- Determines vehicle condition by conducting inspections and diagnostic tests; identifying worn and damaged parts.
- Keeps equipment available for use by completing preventive maintenance schedules; installing component and part upgrades; controlling corrosion; completing winterization procedures.
- Corrects vehicle deficiencies by removing, repairing, adjusting, overhauling, assembling, disassembling, and replacing major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, parts, or systems, such as, power and drive trains, electrical, air conditioning, fuel, emission, brake, steering, hydraulics; completes machine shop operations; making adjustments and alignments including bearing loads, gear tooth contact, valve mechanisms, governors, oil systems, control linkages, clutches, and traction units.
- Verifies vehicle performance by conducting test drives; adjusting controls and systems.
- Complies with federal and state vehicle requirements by testing engine, safety, and combustion control standards.
- Maintains vehicle appearance by cleaning, washing, and painting.
- Maintains vehicle records by annotating services and repairs.
- Keeps shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Contains costs by using warranty; evaluating service and parts options.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical and regulation publications.
- Enhances maintenance department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- HS diploma or equivalent.
- Two-plus years’ experience as a Diesel Mechanic
- Valid CDL License preferred
- ASE Diesel Certification preferred
- Maintain an acceptable attendance record.
- Must possess own tools
- Self-motivated and able to work without direct supervision.
- Team oriented with the willingness to take direction from others.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions. The noise level in the work environment and during mobile repairs can be loud. The position regularly works near moving machinery and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The position lifts medium objects and performs physical labor under adverse field conditions. The employee lifts, pushes, pulls or carries objects; uses abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue; and effectively climbs and jumps. The position requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multilimbed coordination. The position requires the ability to quickly move arms and legs. The employee must have excellent stamina.